skip to main content
:::

History

    The name of Singang originates from the "Sinnangang" in the Jiacing Period of the Cing Dynasty. The four biggest villages in the central area of Singang Township are new settlements formed by the people who moved from Zhangzhou to Mayuanliao. Currently the administrative region of the township is divided into 23 villages, covering the Bengang, Damaosibao and Niouchousibao (Sialiou Village) of the Cing Dynasty.  
     
    In the prehistoric period, Singang was once the residing place of Hoanya Pingpu people and other indigenous people. Spotted deer were seen running here and there, and the fishermen and pirates from China and Japan sometimes stayed here for a rest. The ancestors called this river harbor Bengang.  
     
    The probable location of Bengang is between the current Shueiyue Temple in Singang and the Bishuei Temple in Beigang. In 1621, YEN, SZU-CHI, leading CHENG, CHIH-LUNG and other people, debarked at Bengang and established ten villages. Then other people were attracted to exploit here and settlements were formed. By the early Kangsi Period of the Cing Dynasty, Bengang was not only a port of external trade, but also had become a prosperous town. A lot of businessmen gathered in Bengang, and it became the biggest town in the offing of Taiwan.  
     
    By the mid 18th century, the Bengang Township with densely distributed ships and carriages had been called “the small Taiwan”.  
     
    In 1750, the flooding of Bengang River (the current Beigang River) divided Bengang Township into two parts, i.e., Bennangang and Benbeigang. During the fight between Zhangzhou people and Quanzhou people in 1782, Quanzhou people attacked Bennangang and a lot of the residents were scared and run away. Relatively Nangang Town encountered more manmade disasters and suffered from more serious losses.  
     
    So the rich businessmen all run away. Four years later, the LIN SHUAN-WEN Incident occurred, in which seven farms in Bantoucuo and Nangang were destroyed in the robbery, fire setting. Then the flooding of Bengang River lasted for years. As a result of the natural and man-made disasters, the Zhangzhou immigrants in Bennangang moved to Mayuanliao, which is located in the southeast of Bennangang, in the early Jiacing Period of the Cing Dynasty. So Mayuanliao was called Sinnangang (the New Nangang), and the original Nangang Township was called Jiunangang (the Old Nangang). Later the Old Nangang lost its function as a port gradually due to the sedimentation of the riverbed, and was finally degraded to a village.  
     
    As a new settlement extended from the ancient Bengang, Sinnangang continued the history, culture, politics, economy and religious belief of the Zhangzhou people in Bengang. In the late years of the Cing Dynasty, the long name was abandoned and it was renamed “Singang”. In the Japanese Colonial Period (1920) when the local administrative system was reformed, Singang was renamed “Sinsiang” because there were several places named Singang on the island and the place was far away from the port. The name of “Singang” was recovered after the Second World War ended in 1945.  
     
    During the history of more than 300 years, time has brought great changes to the place and the residents have experienced the hard work of exploitation, migration and regeneration. The town of great importance developed by the ancestors has left us a lot of historic records of the cultivation of virgin land and valuable historic sites. The people of today should cherish all these cultural assets and never forget the history.

    :::
    open footermenu close foorermenu